News from the 1st-XV

Browse by month to find the report of interest.

Saturday, 20th October 2018

Teddington 27 Andover 40

A perfect eight from eight kicks, gave centre Charlie Waite a personal twenty point haul at Teddington last Saturday, and along with some awesome scrummaging, this proved to be the decisive factor in a superb bonus point win on the road for the 'All Blacks'. Oakwood sponsored Andover made the long journey to West London, with a much changed side, in what was billed as a must win game for Teddington, who were in the relegation zone, whilst Andover looked to consolidate their own mid table position. Andover began superbly with Jack Cooper putting in a smashing tackle from the kick off as Andover set out their stall. From a resultant scrum penalty, Callum Farr went quickly and fed winger Charlie Deavall who finished neatly after just two minutes. Waite converted from wide out and just ten minutes later was on target again from an excellent long range penalty, as Andover turned the screw at the scrum.

The home side suddenly stirred and from their first real attack a quickly taken penalty saw them break through a disorganised Andover to score.

Andover's lineout began to function through Wayne Jones and Simon Preece, to give Andover even more possession and they took control in a spell that should have put the game out of sight. Ioan Gwynne Davies sprinted fifty metres to score a converted try from a neat interception and when Waite added another penalty Andover looked dominant.

Teddington closed the gap with a penalty, but Andover poured forwards and when brilliant work from Alistair Donnan set up skipper Alex Hibidge, his fine offload sent Nic Reed over for a superb try. It all looked good for Andover, but then just before the break they went to sleep and the home side scored a second try to narrow the gap.

Andover did not learn and straight after the break their generosity in defence allowed Teddington in again. Andover brought on Toby Dixon for Carl Sievewright as they reorganised up front, but if Teddington thought the scrums would get any easier as result, Dixon soon made them think again. Waite was once again on target with the scrum penalty, but Teddington would not lie down and soon got within three points with another good score.

That was as good as it got for them though, as Andover finally woke from their slumber. Andover lost the excellent James Monck from the front row to a nasty looking muscle injury and with Donnan switching to hooker, Jake Dixon became the second brother of the day to complete the journey from academy to first team. He made an immediate physical impact in the back row as Andover took back control. Alex Arter made his return from suspension to replace Tyler Gabriel on the wing and after constant pressure and more fine work from Hibdige, Arter dived over for the clincher.

Waite converted superbly from wide out to leave the home side needing two scores, but in truth they barely touched the ball again. Frustration boiled over for Teddington, as Waite added a final penalty after Preece was fouled at a lineout and soon after the home skipper saw red for a stamping offence just before the final whistle blew.

Afterwards Director of rugby Andy Waite said ' Overall with all the changes this was a satisfactory win, but once again we could have made it a lot easier for ourselves. Our main concern is our growing long term injury list, but it's great to see new players stepping up and showing our first team squad is developing.'


RSS Feed

Our Sponsors

Youth Rugby Sport England