News from the Colts

Browse by month to find the report of interest.

Sunday, 10th December 2017

Winchester 38 -  Andover 5

On a day when the match was lucky to be played at all, due to atrocious weather conditions before kick off, Basepoint sponsored Andover Colts travelled to local rivals Winchester for their second meeting in Hampshire League 1.

The match was always likely to be a tough affair as Winchester had dominated the first meeting of the season, but the All Blacks set about the task of upsetting the form guide and putting a good performance together.

Andover started really well and the game remained pointless for about 15 minutes. Doug Armes carried well on his return to the club early in the half until Winchester finally broke the deadlock with a driven lineout which crashed over from short range.

Ten minues further into the game Winchester increased their lead when a blindside break led to their second score after missed tackles by the away side.

Andover then had a good spell and pegged Winchester back on numerous occasions. They had a chance for three points, but the difficult penalty kick drifted just wide of the right hand post, which was a shame as they deserved something out of the first period.

With a score of 10-0 at half time, Andover were in with a shout, but as been the case on several other occasions this year, the game drifted away from them as the clock ticked on.

Andover increased their tenacity in a the second half and at times, showed glimpses of real progress, with more aggression at the breakdown, great tackling and better carrying from several forwards. Harry Scobie, James Wallace, Lewis Reed, JD, Tommy O'Brien, Doug Armes and Jack Moffat all stepped up and Andover actually bossed the game for minutes at a time, but unfortunately numerous injuries caused disruption to the Andover line up and Winchester managed another four scores before the final whistle. Their kicker converting all four, with several from distance. Andover managed a good consolation score through Doug Armes towards the end and almost had a second shortly afterwards, which was well deserved at the end of a tough match.

This again was a match that Andover didn't really deserve to lose by the final scoreline and was one that showed glimpses of what they are capable of, but unfortunately it is another one that got away.

They look forward to a  friendly against Wootton Basset next week in the final fixture before the Christmas break.


RSS Feed

Our Sponsors

Youth Rugby Sport England