News from the Colts

Browse by month to find the report of interest.

Sunday, 19th November 2017

Andover Colts v Trojans

It was back to Hampshire league 1 duty after last weeks cup defeat for Basepoint sponsored Andover and the coaches were looking for a response from the players after a poor performance at Basingstoke last week.

They got this in abundance and the All Blacks stepped up their efforts to take the game to top of the league Trojans.

Andover started well and put Trojans under pressure with good line speed, defence and a good kicking game from Jamie Sarginson who was playing at fly half instead of his usual centre position. This pressure led to Trojans spilling the ball on numerous occasions and despite lots of possession it took 11 minutes for the home side to finally break the deadlock with a converted try after a rare missed tackle in the middle.

This pattern continued for much of the half, Trojans dominated it but Andover continued to disrupt throughout and enjoyed some success of their own too. With better decision making at penalties in the red zone, Andover could have taken points which unfortunately went begging.

Trojans managed a further two tries before the break, one of which was converted to make the half time score 19-0.

Andover again started the second half brightly and enjoyed a good spell of pressure in the Trojans half. Several penalties gave Andover good field position and they declined another shot at goal and kicked for touch. The resulting lineout was won and following a front peel by Tommy O'Brien, one ruck and a quick pass from Lewis Reed at 9, Alfie Appleton crashed over for the fourth game in a row. Ronan Walker narrowly missed the conversion from the touch line.

Andover continued to press Trojans hard and almost had three second half interception tries from Sarginson, James Wallace and Joe Joy, but were penalised for being offside twice and one was spilt. As the game progressed Trojans responded with two further tries, before Andover were reduced to fourteen players by the referee for speaking out of turn. With the extra player, Trojans pressed home their advantage and finished with two more scores before the whistle, making the final score 43-5.

Despite the heavy defeat, this was one of Andover's best performances of the season and the players should feel proud of the improvement in performance from last week. Each and every one of them was better individually and the team performance was more cohesive too.

They enjoy next weekend off before the final three games this side of Christmas.


RSS Feed

Our Sponsors

Youth Rugby Sport England