News from the Colts

Browse by month to find the report of interest.

Sunday, 12th November 2017

Basingstoke 32 - Andover 7

Basepoint sponsored Andover faced Basingstoke away in a double header Hampshire league 1 cup fixture. Both sets of coaches had agreed to make this a winner takes all match to avoid playing each other four times this season.

Unfortunately the referee didn't show and hasty arrangements had to be made allow the match to happen at all.

So with lots at stake both groups of players set about their cup campaign to stay in the competition.

The match was a physical encounter from the start with 'Stoke using their large runners in midfield to carry the game to Andover. 

The visitors soaked up the pressure for a while but ultimately this pressure told and Basingstoke made the breakthrough with a series of good carries for their first try. Their second try was a carbon copy of the first and further missed tackles cost Andover another seven points before the break, meaning the half time score was 17-0.

A few changes to the Andover line up did little to stop the tide of the home sides big runners in the increasingly niggly second period, but Harry Scobie and Austin Doherty came out of the match with credit due to their tackling. Gabe Williams, playing at full back managed to get some ball and found some space, but ultimately the second half followed the pattern of the first and Basingstoke dominated it throughout.

They scored a further three tries, the first through a number 8 pick up and the second two courtesy of better handling out wide, before Andover managed one of their own through Alfie Appleton. Ronan Walker converted it well from out wide in windy conditions.

At the death Andover went close to getting a second score but were judged to have just gone into touch in the process of touching down.

So all in all a difficult day at the office for the 'All Blacks' and a game Basingstoke thoroughly deserved to win.


RSS Feed

Our Sponsors

Youth Rugby Sport England