News from the 2nd-XV

Browse by month to find the report of interest.

Saturday, 7th October 2017

Andover 2nd XV vs Torjans 2nd XV

After a week off Andover Hinds hosted Trojans at the Goodship ground and were keen to continue their winnings ways. The new Andover attacking strategy has been working well and the Hinds were looking forward to playing some aggressive attacking rugby. 

Andover won the toss and elected to receive, hoping test the Trojans defence. And test it they did, with Matt Moore crashing over the line after only 5 minutes, the first of many strong carries by the powerful Number 8.

It looked as if the Hinds had the measure of Trojans, but sloppy defence and unforced errors saw the visitors score twice before the 22-minute mark to take the lead.

Andover took this as a wakeup call and two minutes later Ioan Gwynne Davies ran in a try to retake a lead they would not surrender again. 

Andover continued to look dangerous with the ball and firmed up their defence to stifle Trojans, with the forwards dominating the scrum and Harry Phillips ruling the line outs.

Two Andover tries, including a 40-yard run from Jake Kane, in his last game for the club before moving to Manchester, took the score to 24-10 at half time.

After the break the Hinds came out of the gate quickly. Gwynne Davies had moved to 10 and scored within the first minute of the second half. Trojans did not give up however and were soon rewarded with another score.

Andover responded superbly with Phillips running through half the Trojans team to score but Trojans replied with a fourth try on 60 minutes.

The Visitors continued to struggle with the Andover attack however and Josh Gibbs soon ran in another score from the ever-dominant Andover scrum. 

It’s not a proper game of rugby without a push over try, and when Andover got a scrum on the 5-meter line there was only one option. The Hinds pushed Trojans back and Moore grounded the ball for a try that goes to the whole pack. 

Andover extended their lead with Kane cutting the Trojan back line to shreds before a monstrous hit from Samson Earle prevented the visitors from pulling another score back. 

James Byrne impressing on his debut at Centre made a number of crunching tackles to make sure Trojans did not get any more points on the board.

Gwynne Davies grabbed his fourth in the 70th minute before flanker Wayne Jones was rewarded for loitering out with the backs with the final Andover try in the 75th minute. Josh Gibbs slotted 6 conversions to complete the scoring.

This was an excellent display of team rugby from an Andover side in which Italian flanker Giacomo Taglietti put in a man of the match performance.


RSS Feed

Our Sponsors

Youth Rugby Sport England