News from the 2nd-XV

Browse by month to find the report of interest.

Saturday, 7th January 2017

Portsmouth 2’s   57 – 7    Andover 2’s

Andover twos travel to Portsmouth for their first game of 2017. Having beaten Portsmouth earlier in the season Andover were hopeful they could do it again. 

From the kick off Portsmouth showed just how they wanted to play this game and as they gained possession the ball was fed to their electric wingers, who pushed out wide to score in the corner.

From the restart Portsmouth again pushed the ball out wide and with both their winger and fullback linking up this created  a simple two on one to beat the Andover winger.

Down but not out it was the Andover’s backs who next showed some flair, Ioan Gyn Davis chip n chase released Patrick Holmes who fed Harry Blackburn and was unlucky not to score. Panicked  Portsmouth kicked for touch and the lineout was awarded deep in the Andover half.  A quick lineout from the home team caught Andover napping and again Portsmouth were on the score sheet.

Unfazed the Andover young guns, Harry Ward and Fin Waite really impressed but little could be done as Portsmouth again released their backs for yet another try out wide. 

Andover were really on the ropes now, but refused to give in, foul play saw a penalty awarded to Andover but Ioan Gyn Davis’s fast feet were not enough and he was stopped just short of the line. 

The next twenty minutes was pretty much all one way traffic has Portsmouth ran in a further 5 more un answered try’s 

The second half welcomed Evan Gyn Davis and from the off he made a great impact, disrupting the Portsmouth back line and in the confusion the ball was gathered up by Dean Andrews who ran from the half way line to beat the Portsmouth defence and score Andovers only try. 

Rattled, Portsmouth came back hard and Andover were again tested out wide but a try saving tackle from Stefan Long denied them a certain try.

In a cruel twist, Andover were now reduced to 14 men and a strong Portsmouth attack saw Andover’s defence tested yet again, until a crunching tackle saw Josh Gibbs injured and the game called off early.

Man of the Match went to Harry Ward


RSS Feed

Our Sponsors

Youth Rugby Sport England